NIH expects the broad and responsible sharing of human as well as non-human genomic data resulting from NIH-funded research because the timely sharing of research results can accelerate discoveries that improve our ability to diagnose, treat, and prevent disease.
To comply with the GDS policy, NIH expects that investigators and institutions:
- Develop and provide a plan for sharing genomic data as a part of the Data Management and Sharing Plan
- Provide an Institutional Certification form at Just-in-Time, if working with human data
- Submit genomic data in a timely manner to an appropriate repository
- Responsibly use controlled-access data
- Appropriately cite controlled-access data in publications and presentations
Individual NIH Institutes, Centers, or Offices may have additional expectations (see GDS Policy Expectations by NIH Institute & Center).Select each step below to learn more.